View Single Post

Old 07-12-2020, 04:04 PM

Liked 6,948 Times in 2,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Hi Kinman,
Sorry. The question didn't occur to me until Kurusu's post later on.
Thanks for elaborating on the various 45s, and for the 44 vs 45 in N frame consideration. Yes, both 44 Special and 45 ACP/AR offer much enjoyment. I got a pile of vintage 45 AR brass that needs to get in on some action.
You don't see balloon head 45 Auto Rim every day (especially in nickel)!

Jim
The old boys I shoot with claim the only way you can get a full load of black powder in the case is to use the old balloon head cases. I don't see a problem using the balloon head case as long as your using black but have heard you can run into problems with smokeless, I guess if Elmer was still around he could testify as such. Those cases are pretty cool anyway. I shoot BPC in 45-70 and 45-90 and was wondering how they got 70 grns in the case, one of the old boys said that they were balloon head cases. Winchester cases are the thinnest, allowing the most powder but I still struggle to get 70 grns in. Swiss formula works a bit better, I am using that in the 45-90 and have plenty of room for more powder although am finding it unnecessary, 75 grns seems to give me excellent accuracy with room to spare, that is 1-1/2F.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: