View Single Post

Old 07-14-2020, 07:26 PM

Liked 4,802 Times in 1,536 Posts

From my perspective, early "pre-model number" target 45 ACP revolvers, (in other words the 1950 Target 45 and 1955 Target 45) were built as match grade revolvers. The whole point of the game was precision. These early guns have cylinder throats that, in my experience, mic at .452" - .453".
Just as important (and completely overlooked in this thread) is chamber depth!
You want the combined chamber depth and headspace of the cylinder to equal, but no exceed by more than a couple thousandths of an inch, the specific cartridge case length.
These revolvers (built right) shoot great, at least out to the 50 yd slow fire line.
But, there is a price: your ammo has to be perfect. If your cast bullets are oversize at all, if you're sloppy with bullet lube, cases are over or under length, or if your resizing isn't right, the cartridge won't seat properly. Using Auto Rim brass helps, if the headspace is right. Half or Full moonclips that aren't perfectly flat also cause problems.
I imagine that back then a lot of inattentive reloaders complained that their revolvers jammed or were sticky. The easy answer is to cut oversize chambers to accommodate sloppy ammo. The same issue exists when comparing hunting rifles and target rifles.
All some people care about is that their gun goes "Bang"!
The 45 ACP problem is simply more pronounced due to the fact that the chamber specs call for being able to headspace off the case mouth. Look in a 44 Special chamber and you'll see a taper from the cartridge chamber area to the throat.
That's a whole different ballgame....

Jim
The Following User Likes This Post: