View Single Post

Old 07-16-2020, 09:03 PM

Liked 827 Times in 236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContinentalOp View Post
My understanding is that the only way for such a 1911 to fire would be if it fell and hit the ground muzzle first. Falling in this direction, it's possible for the firing pin's mass/inertia to cause it to move far enough to hit the primer. An extra-power firing pin spring likely would be strong enough to prevent that. Or using a titanium firing pin. Falling the way it did, the firing pin would already be against the firing pin stop and the spring likely prevented it from bouncing with enough energy to detonate the primer.

My understanding is that a large reason why 1911 manufacturers started installing titanium firing pins was to pass the drop tests that some states require in order for their guns to be sold there.

Also, I hope you used this opportunity to advise your brother to do a better job of organizing his safe so stuff isn't falling out of it.
Yes I was very upset with my brother. He used to do a lot of things very careless. It wouldnt be the first time I had one of those serious talks with him. I personally would never leave a bunch of loaded condition 1 weapons in a safe unsecured like that but my bro was a different animal. I treated his house like I was walking in the jungle full of NVA booby traps.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: