View Single Post

Old 07-17-2020, 12:13 PM

Liked 2,173 Times in 836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo44 View Post
It was the bulk of full moon clips alright, but not for carrying that did them in:

The ‘half-moon’ clip evolved from a ‘full-moon’ clip design originally invented by S&W for rimmed cartridges in their ‘Top Break’ #3 revolvers in the latter part of the 19th century as a form of what we know today as a ‘speed loader’.

The original intended use was never put into production however. Probably because Smith didn’t have much luck obtaining Army contracts for their revolver. A good idea languished for 30 years or so until the “The .45 Hand Ejector U.S. - Model 1917” was designed to chamber the 45 ACP rimless round. Why then did Smith & Wesson invent and patent the half-moon clip?

Very simple as it turns out; the military correctly concluded that pre-loaded half-moon clips could be packaged much more efficiently than pre-loaded full-moon clips. Which Smith, at the request of the Army allowed Colt to also use free of charge. Alas, the full-moon clip was once again relegated to the back burner of firearms ingenuity. Only in the more recent past, after 100 + years since its invention, has the currently popular full-moon clip finally gained its full due.

The half-moon clip was patented in 1918 (application filed August 15, 1917) by Joseph H. Wesson, one of Daniel B. Wesson's sons, who also designed a machine to load them. He also designed various full-moon clips and even a quick loading carrier for 24 cartridges.

Factory racks of 1/2 moon clips prior to being loaded:

1917 .45 half moon clip holder-revolving-rifle-001-jpg
Jim, do you have a clear pic of the label on the back of the halfmoonclip feeder stick?

One of my favorite "M1917" pics I have accumulated...........I do need to get around to building one of these devices for myself.

Last edited by tenntex32; 07-17-2020 at 12:36 PM.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: