View Single Post

Old 07-19-2020, 03:22 PM

Liked 924 Times in 416 Posts
Default Caliber consolidation, Y2K and the fall of ammo prices for the next 4 years.

After reading "Tappan on Survival" for the second time I pared my calibers down to 4. 7.62x51, 7.62x39, .45acp and .22lr. The one 9mm (Glock 17), and .357 (M66 ND), got gone.

Never cared for the 5.56 ctg, so that never even entered the picture. Did have a LNIB Ruger Mini Police only in stainless that I got a very good deal on from a La. Trooper to use for trade bait. Traded it for a NIB Bulgarian SLR 95, which is what I was looking for.

Then, Y2K wasn't and the panic buyers stopped buying and ammo prices dropped in a hurry. Mil Surp was especially cheap. Remember AIM having sealed cases of nice Port x51 for $149 shipped? THAT'S when I bought it. Ended up with 7 cases for my M1a and 2 mil Surp bolt guns in x51.

On the last day of a gun show, case lots of x39 could be had for as little as $50 if the seller didn't feel like lugging them out. But still, $75 was the norm. Higher, you walked past.

Out of The Shotgun News, there was pretty much a one off deal for Wolf MT (rebranded SK Standard+), that was less than, or right at the cost of CCI SV ($186.50/case, shipped).

.45acp was lower, but no 'screaming' deals. Got a couple cases. The IMI .45acp was really 'peppy', still is.

Till the AWB expired in 2004, prices stayed low till then and then started to rise, and rapidly. For those 4+/- years didn't buy any guns, just ammo for my essential guns.

That was really the time to 'buy it cheap and stack it deep'.

Rob
The Following 4 Users Like Post: