View Single Post

Old 07-21-2020, 09:26 AM
US Veteran

Liked 32,371 Times in 5,476 Posts

About 30 years ago I received a batch of once-fired US GI 9mm brass, about 2500 rounds I think. All was WCC (Winchester) headstamp, 1986 date, and nickel plated. All had crimped-in primers. I needed 9mm brass at the time so I went to work.

Set up my primer pocket reamer in the drill press, gave each deprimed case a quick application to cut the edges of the crimp away, then ran them through the Lyman primer pocket swaging tool set up in my press. Carbide sizer die, flare, seat new primers, charge, seat bullets, taper crimp. My standard practice load is a 125 TC cast lead .356 diameter.

I don't recall having to discard a single case, and 30 years later that same brass remains in use after about a dozen reloading cycles. My Browning Hi Power and S&W pistols digest it without problems, and a Kahr K9 had no difficulties. A friend's 9mm Colt has some troubles, I think due to a much tighter chamber (nothing but factory with jacketed bullets runs through that pistol).

I have dealt with crimped primers in 9mm, .38 Special, .45 ACP, .30 Carbine, 7.62 NATO, and .30-06 over the years. All GI surplus stuff, all good brass, just a couple of extra steps to deal with (one time).
The Following 3 Users Like Post: