Thread: M1 Garand
View Single Post

Old 07-21-2020, 11:35 AM
US Veteran

Liked 6,802 Times in 1,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowe View Post
Andy, forgive me if you are experienced with this Honor Guard Unit and their guns, but I have a couple of dumb questions to ask?

First, I have to ask about the configuration of the rifles? Many Honor Guard Rifles are incapable of shooting standard ammunition, since they use blank only Ceremonial, Caliber .30, M1s. The rifles are permanently altered to function as a repeater and will not automatically eject the brass, so operator has to reload manually.

Second, what caliber are the Guard rifles? Some Guard units are using 308 M1s, so 30-06 will not chamber.
No need to apologize. The rifles are all 30-06 M1 Garand's ranging from 1942 to 1956. The rifles are all capable of firing live ammo if the blank adapters were remove.
I keep a pretty extensive supply of parts in my shop for these rifles, including one spare rebuilt op-rod for the rifles with worn lugs. I donate all the time and parts to the honor guard at no cost.
A few weeks back the post Commander was going to list my name on the board as post Armorer I asked him to please not to do that. I told him I didn't want everyone coming to me asking to have their firearms worked on. I am a trained gunsmith but I only work on guns anymore for friends and family, plus the post.
SWHF #595
The Following User Likes This Post: