View Single Post

Old 07-23-2020, 10:31 AM

Liked 7,601 Times in 1,448 Posts

The beginning of 2020 sure has been good for the firearms industry.

As someone behind the counter here is the guns sales timeline of the last few months as I see it.

As things began to lock down and oil prices dropped handgun sales and the sales of home defense short barrel shotguns took off. Ammo sales and magazine sale skyrocketed. Most of the buyers of firearms tended to be first time buyers. Many of them admitted they were kind of anti gun in the past but thought they might need one now. For a couple of weeks it was like Black Friday sales each and everyday.

After that rush which severely depleted inventory things began to settle down. Sales were still brisk but we weren't slammed from opening to closed.

Then came the riots; business picked up again but the product mix changed a bit. AR, Ak and SKS sales took off as did full size semi auto pistol sales. There is a different feel to this buying.

Maybe it is a generational thing, maybe it is the video games people play but a one type of younger customer sure prefers Eastern Block firearms including old Mosin-Negant bolt rifles but will buy what we have when nothing else is available.

The slightly older buyers seem to be tactical shotgun, AR, M1A, Garand buyers. They are buying full size 9mm handguns at a brisk pace but they are also a little more likely to buy revolvers and 1911s.

Right now if it is tacticool it doesn't stay on the shelf ammo, mags, firearms, etc. I'm just glad I'm an old fashion revolver guy and I'm looking forward to hunting season. I can buy ammo for my big game rifles and revolvers.

I've not seen the I'm buying modern sporting rifles to flip closer or after the election buyers. The customers buying now are buying what they think they might need. This doesn't feel like the sales stimulated by elections and gun control talks.

You can draw your on conclusions on what it all means.

That was my ramble for the day.

Last edited by Bill Bates; 07-23-2020 at 10:33 AM.