Thread: CMP 1911s
View Single Post

Old 07-24-2020, 09:12 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,872 Times in 2,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by max View Post
Maybe you got the one my dad had at the Battle of The Bulge or maybe the one I sometimes carried in Vietnam.
I know. Or maybe it never left the states and was used to qualify men about to go to war. Either way it spent 30 years banging around on a soldier’s hip. I’ll take that over a tricked outta Kimber.

Only thing I wish is the parkerizing was a bit darker. Some ordered Field Grades but I wanted the best functioning weapon. Mine was refurbed and put back into storage in 1976, waiting to be put back into action. That never happened so I now own it. Mine is very tight. It doesn’t rattle. But I wish it was darker. But not gonna change anything. Rather than detract from the guns history, the park is part of its history.

Just the other day, I was making an inventory of my currently owned firearms. Made a spreadsheet with info, including purchase date and price. I bought my Service Grade Springfield Garand from the CMP 4 years ago for $650. 3 years ago my HRA was $725. They’re not even in stock anymore at the CMP so I have no idea what they’re going for, but gunbroker CMP service grades are going for over a grand. The prices of these GI weapons is never gonna go down. 20 years ago SKS rifles were $75 a pop.

I look at my modern M&P plastic guns and how they don’t hold their value and then I look at my 1911 and there’s just no contest. If they let me buy another I probably would.

Last edited by kbm6893; 07-24-2020 at 09:24 AM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: