View Single Post

Old 07-24-2020, 11:47 AM

Liked 2,173 Times in 836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
Yours is the first one of which I have heard, not that I have gone out of my way to look for one!

Interesting how they did the first batch of chambering but got it corrected for the rest. Kind of opposite what S&W has done re: the Model 625.

Kevin
Kevin,

I have seen a few but not very many. One thing you have to look out for is that many later style Colt cylinders may have had their original chambers reamed/modified to accept .45Colt ammo.....thus the owners think they may be the early style cylinders. An all-original unmolested early (or later) Colt M1917 cylinder will not properly accept .45Colt ammo.

Here's a pic of my all-original early style Colt cylinder that will not fully accept .45Colt ammo. (It's the same revolver/cylinder as in my previous pic showing the unclipped .45acp ammo going in flush with the rear cylinder face.) This is another reason I try to correct folks when they say early Colt cylinders were originally bored straight through as this is an incorrect statement. If they were simply bored straight through then .45Colt ammo would go all the way into the chambers.

Dale
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Early Colt M1917 butt no. 4253 with .45Colt ammo.jpg (70.0 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by tenntex32; 07-24-2020 at 11:48 AM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: