View Single Post

Old 07-25-2020, 11:56 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 5,549 Times in 2,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
Don't ask why, but the question has bubbled up again. Would it be practical to rework a slide from a 39/59 to simply take the second plunger (for the FP block) and use it on a second or third generation lower? It seems like adding that second plunger and spring would be all that was needed to update the first gen slides for later guns. Am I missing something critical here?

Froggie
As Member stansdds has pointed out, machining the slide to accept the firing pin safety apparatus would allow the a 1st gen slide to work on a 2nd/3rd gen frame.

Also, modifying the firing pin safety apparatus in the frame of a 2nd/3rd gen frame would allow the use of a 1st gen slide, but then you would be eliminating the firing pin safety which would make the pistol NOT "drop safe".

In response to your question, I tried a nickel 39-2 slide (w/windage adjustable lollypop sight) on my 2nd gen 659 (Same action as 639).

It fit but would not function because the 1st gen 39-2 slide has no accommodation for the firing pin safety lever on the 2nd gen frame.

The trigger would stop as the firing pin safety lever raised up and hit the slide.

It would be possible to grind on a firing pin safety lever and neuter it in to a "spacer" and then it would work.

I've never been crazy about removing safety features but that's the nuts and bolts of the conversion and if you ever decide to do it, now you know how.

John[/QUOTE]