View Single Post

Old 07-26-2020, 01:27 PM

Liked 1,827 Times in 987 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy4evr View Post
Actually , sizing the bullets to the size of the cylinder throats is meaningless . It's the groove diameter of the barrel that determines the cast bullet size . If the cylinder throats are smaller than the determined size of the cast bullets , the throats need to be opened up so your cast bullet will push throat with little pressure . Last but not least , is there a tight spot where the barrel threads onto the frame . Pushing a soft lead slug all the way through the barrel will determine that . If it stops short of exiting the barrel near the forcing cone , then there is a choke there that needs to be removed to shoot accurately and lessen the chance of barrel leading . Alloy hardness , lube hardness etc are factors that are important as well . Veral Smiths (LBT Molds ) sells a soft bound book called " Jacketed Performance with Cast Bullets " . It explains in detail what to look for , how to solve problems encountered to increase accuracy and reduce the problem of leading a barrel for revolvers , semi auto's and rifles . Regards Paul
Don't agree. I'm only a home caster and have written no texts, so I'm not considered an "expert". But I do know sizing to chamber throat diameter is the best way to achieve good bullet to gun fit. The main reason I slug the barrels of my guns is for my info and to make sure the grove diameter is smaller than the chamber throat diameter. Ninety-nine percent of the time the grooves are smaller, but by sizing to the throat diameter I'm insured that the bullet diameter is larger than the groove diameter, as much as possible with the given throat diameter. If a bullet is larger than the throat diameter, it will be sized down to the throat diameter as it passes through, and it will fit the groove diameter as well as possible in the particular gun. If the bullet is smaller than the throat diameter leading can occur, both in the barrel and on the cylinder face and frame. So regardless of barrel diameters, if the bullet does not fit the cylinder throats, problems will arise and the simplest, most efficient way to get good fitting bullets is to measure the throats and size bullets accordingly.

Bullet hardness take a back seat to bullet to gun fit as far as pertained to accuracy and clean shooting...

Last edited by mikld; 07-26-2020 at 01:29 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: