View Single Post

Old 07-26-2020, 10:09 PM

Liked 4,189 Times in 1,864 Posts
Default Observations on range pickup reloads!

Greetings!

As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I collected the brass on the bay I was the safety officer on for a club steel shoot. I was lucky to get brass for: 380, 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, and a couple 357 Sig. I managed to pickup close to 800 rounds of 9mm. After tumbling the 9s, I segregated them into two groups: reloaded and factory fresh.

Today, I was resizing and depriming these cases in preparation for loading for a "lost brass match" this coming weekend. Today's task involved about 270 cases. I had kept only the brass cases, all else went into the trash can. I made two observations:
1) some cases, no matter how many times they went through the sizing die just wouldn't slip into the case gage, the shell body would slip in, but not the rim.
2) on almost half of the cases, the cases had to be "resized" two or more times in order for the primer to drop clear of the primer pocket. Sometimes, the case had to be rotated in order for the primer to drop clear of the primer pocket.

I see the out of dimension case rims as being a manufacturing defect. But the primer pockets, it's hard to believe that someone reloaded cases where the primer pockets hadn't been swaged!