Thread: S&W Walther
View Single Post

Old 07-27-2020, 10:09 AM

Liked 7,379 Times in 2,512 Posts

Unfortunately, most of the Walther Snobs I've met are convinced that the PPK(/S) is only good as a collectible, museum piece, or safe queen. They basically regard the PPK(/S) as a firearm that's pleasant to look at, but no longer worthy of consideration when it comes to concealed carry.

Just owning a Smith & Wesson PPK(/S) is enough to get them going, but if you tell them you carry it as well, then you'll be bombarded with additional assertions like; "The PPK is too heavy for a .380, the DA Trigger is too heavy, it isn't drop safe with out the safety engaged and it's too hard to quickly disengage, you just wanna be James Bond!" Oh yeah, speaking of which, Walther Snobs absolutely HATE James Bond for some reason. You'd think they'd at least be happy that the James Bond franchise helped the PPK to achieve mainstream popularity, but no, they hate the franchise and make fun of anyone who got turned on to the PPK through it.

Personally, I think that the only legitimate knock against the PPK(/S) is the weight, as it is legitimately rather heavy at 23oz+, but then again, it's an all steel pistol. If Walther wanted to, then they could easily reduce the weight by making it with an aluminum alloy or polymer frame. However, the PPK(/S) is by no means too heavy to be carried. I pocket carried mine for years without much trouble, except for in the summertime when wearing the absolute lightest, loosest, drawstring shorts.

Nowadays I carry a Ruger LCP, but not because it's a better firearm. I carry the Ruger LCP because it's extremely small, extremely lightweight, and so easy to carry that it actually requires more effort to leave it behind than it does to slip it into my pocket and take it with me wherever I go. When it comes to shootability, my S&W PPK/S completely outclasses my LCP because it fits my hand like a glove, has much better sights, and is inherently more accurate due to the fixed barrel design. In fact, one of the reasons which finally forced me to overcome my polymer biased was that I simply had grown so fond of my S&W PPK/S that the mere thought of it possibly ending up in an evidence locker was too much to bear, whereas if my LCP were to be confiscated as evidence after a possible Self-Defense shooting, then I wouldn't worry about it.