View Single Post

Old 07-27-2020, 06:11 PM

Liked 658 Times in 186 Posts
Default M1 Garand

My best called shot.

16 years ago I picked up an M1 Garand. Was new to rifles as I had grown up hunting waterfowl only. Only centerfire rifles I had ever shot were scoped at a rifle range or at a deer hunt at 100 yds. Took it to range and was very impressed with accuracy from iron sites. May have bragged some to my brothers!

Couple of weeks later took it on a turkey hunt to South Texas to hopefully shoot a hog. Morning turkey hunt was a dry hole, so grabbed the Garand and went on a walking safari for pigs. No joy on those either. My brother pulls up in his Chevy Avalanche and says lets go to town (10 miles away, we are in the middle of nowhere) and get lunch.

Get in leaving my shotgun and turkey decoys back where I was hunting (another story happened there later). We are driving off property and on a telephone pole, estimated to be 200 yds. away is sitting a big Grackle. Brother driving said "gun's so accurate, lets see you hit the bird". I'm IN! Got out, laid Garand on top of truck with front door open. Lining up the shot and something is moving under my leg-hitting power seat lever, and seat is moving up. Readjusted, had him turn truck off to stop vibration, and fired.

Did not see any evidence of a hit-no feathers flew, but bird toppled off of pole down to ground. Got back in and told him, I guess its shooting a little high, I was aiming for the body and must have put one through its eye!
The Following 3 Users Like Post: