View Single Post

Old 07-28-2020, 08:05 PM

Liked 466 Times in 106 Posts

I have always been a really good shooter, though usually more modest than the beginning of this. So in the spirit of "Called Shot", I share these two that are more unusual and fall more in the area of the called shot you never expected to be successful.

1. We were training with Simmunitions 1994 or 5 when they were first adopted by our agency. As one of the safety officers running a scenario, I was waiting through a 20 minute break between groups when my co-RSO out of the blue says, "Hit That!"
as threw his styrofoam cup out in the target area...
In the position I was standing all I could do was draw one-handed and I got a flash of white in the sight and shot.
Hit it dead center. He said, "Whoa!, do that again."
I declined as if it was not worth the bother.

2. We had breeching guns that were short barrel 870's with pistol grips. When our agency changed from a blue clay breeching round to Copper powder, they basically told us to go to the range and "shoot them up", get rid of them.
It didn't take long for someone to suggest some targets instead of pointlessly shooting them down an empty range. So we posted some standard targets at 25 and stood ten yds from them and shot. That was easy to "Kentucky" in so we moved to the main line and shot 25 yds. I was doing pretty good along with most of the team of 12, when the same guy says,
"100 yards!".
So, most of us being skeptical about it, we posted a single silhouette at the 100 line.
Somehow by near unanimous vote, I was pushed to shoot first.
I kinda believe they were hoping to bring me down a peg.
So I shrugged and lined up the little 12ga doing my best guess for alignment and muzzle up like an artillery piece.
Well. I hit it just about center mid sternum.
Which caused noises from "Yeah!" to "Oh Man".
Then the scoffing and puffing commenced. "I can do that"
Half the team went back to the 25yd targets after a few tries.
The rest plugged away with some hits on the silhouette after multiple shots. But only two others were within the center zone and neither as close to center.
Despite the numerous requests and demands, I chose not to repeat my achievement.

The moral of the stories is: You will never do better than 100% on a 1 for 1. You can only match it or fail, and then you're 50%.

Last edited by Sandman4delta; 07-29-2020 at 03:11 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: