View Single Post

Old 07-29-2020, 11:07 PM
US Veteran

Liked 39,435 Times in 10,034 Posts
Default I frame educattion

I picked up a small 2" barreled flat latch 22lr from a forum member sometime last year. It had almost no blue left and looked like it had been carefully sanded with very fine sand paper, Seams and screws fine, Stamping all clear and nice. It was advertised this way and I got it cheap. It was called a pre model 34 in the add and I assumed it was a J frame. LOL Anyway, I picked up a 4 inch barrel and already had what I thought was a J frame 22 cylinder with a long ejector rod. LOL

Anyway a couple week or so back I got a Mohawk 600 project done (changed out the 222 barrel for a model 700 223 barrel), so I got out the little S&W 22 and removed the barrel. New barrel screwed in a tiny bit to far, so I took it off and made a few bunch marks on the shoulder and it tightened up perfect, tapped in the pin and the fun began.

The ejector rod I had was right hand thread and the center pin a bit small. I now suspect it is not really a S&W cylinder. All my other rods were to short. Checked a few places for a rod and no luck. The I checked with a resident I and J frame expert and he told me he had one for an I and one for a J. He had me do some measurements and informed me I had an I frame gun. Now I have to go through all my little 32s and figure out which are Is and which are Js.

Anyway I got the pins to day and the longest of the 2 he sent fit perfect. I used a K frame center pin which I had to grind down on both ends to get it right.

But, now I have a little 4" I frame 22 camp gun, fun , kids can practice with gun. Probably dunk it in a blue tank this summer sometime.

The grips came on the gun, I just got rid of the finger grooves they had as they were to small form my mitts.

Last edited by steelslaver; 07-29-2020 at 11:36 PM.
The Following 7 Users Like Post: