View Single Post

Old 07-31-2020, 10:24 PM

Liked 862 Times in 379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR III View Post
Having tried to melt lead with a torch on many occasions, I find it extremely difficult to comprehend how lead could soften enough in the millisecond that it takes the projectile to exit the barrel.

If you have a source for this I would love to read it. I always believed that it was due to the inherent softness of lead and the hardness of steel.
Hi JSR III,

'As far as I know' anyway...

I do not have any sources at my finger tips to cite...though likely the old "IDEAL" Handbooks and others remind about this.

And, if we think about it clearly...

Temps of Gases behind the Bullet in the brief time of "Blow By" with under-size Bullets, are greatly higher than what your Torch was putting out in it's manner of heating the Lead...as well as being intimately on the sides of the Bullet as they flow by under 14, 15, 17 thousand PSI...

Holding a Torch ( What kind of Torch? How close? What velocity of burning Gasses? etc ) to a Lead Ingot or whatever is a very different thing.

If we think of a "Cutting Torch", it'll be a closer comparison.

Lead on Steel is a super low coefficient of friction.

Under-size Bullets give 'Leading', and right size Bullets do not.

If Leading came from friction - galling - of Bullet galling against Bore, why would under-size Lead Bullets give Leading, and over size and or right size Lead Bullets not?

You can go here -

As them what causes 'Leading', see what they say.

Cast Boolits

Last edited by Oyeboteb; 07-31-2020 at 10:28 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: