View Single Post

Old 07-31-2020, 10:45 PM

Liked 1,819 Times in 706 Posts
Default My first re-load ogive stuck in barrel

So I wanted to test out some 45ACP loads in my 1911 today. I had 4 different powders lined up with 4 or 5 different powder loads for each. All loads were under a 200 gr LSWC from Missouri Bullet with a published Brinell Hardness of 18. First powder up was WST which Lyman manual lists low end at 4.5gr and high end at 5.1gr. I used standard large pistol primers.

I loaded up 5 of the 4.5gr bullets and the first shot was a bullseye from 10 yards. Second shot, shell ejected but no hole in target and next bullet in the magazine jammed. I removed the magazine and cleared the jam. When I checked the barrel the ogive was lodged in the barrel about a centimeter from the feed ramp.

So I've been trying to think why this happened and I'm wondering if the Brinell Hardness is too high for this light powder charge. Not enough blast to get the ogive to obturate????

The Missouri Bullet ogive measures consistently .452 as advertised. It's the IDP #1 on their web site.

Any other thoughts? I'm hesitant to shoot any more light powder loads with this ogive.