View Single Post

Old 08-01-2020, 05:08 PM

Liked 5,055 Times in 1,639 Posts

Started with a Lee Loader in 30-30 in 1974. Went through a wildcatting phase in the 80s before .35 Whelen was legitimized. (Remember the 7mmTCU?) Then a mass-production revolver commitment when shooting Cowboy Action in the 90s. I accumulated enough .45 Colt and .44 Special brass and bullets to keep me going until the Apocalypse. Nearly all since about '75 has been on an RCBS Rockchucker, supplemented from time to time by a Lyman turret. I started using electric scales and calipers a few years ago but keep the balance scales and dial calipers just in case.

Being a fan of odd-ball calibers (still shoot .35 Whelen, along with .280, 7.65X53 Argentine and .38 Super) reloading has been financially advantageous up to now when, in the midst of this drought, I keep stumbling on deeply discounted factory ammo for each of these rarities except the Argentine.

At my age it should be unnecessary to ever buy any ammo again except rimfire and 9mm. I have primers left from one of the ammo scares in the 90s (almost messed up and made this political by naming the guy in office at the time), but still take advantage of sales (such as Gander's close-out) to add to the stock.