View Single Post

Old 08-02-2020, 12:32 PM

Liked 9,091 Times in 3,362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiregrassguy View Post
Make sure you don't bob that barrel too much. This 1917 came to me missing 1/8" of the locking bolt frame which pretty much kills the forward lock. They also didn't put a tall enough front sight blade on it. I have a Brazilian replacement barrel I'm mulling over whether to make an Indy gun out of it or not.

Could you add metal to the back end of the locking lug housing to make it full size to again use it for it's intended purpose.
That would fill in the bbl notch out for the ejector rod knob.
Then shorten the ejector rod & center pin back to the necessary length to fit. Re-cut the bbl for the ejector rod knob clearance.

You don't need much ejector push length to eject the 45acp's. It wouldn't be much different than the J frame 2" revolver ejection in 38special . Probably better with the shorter 45acp cases.

I'd add enough to that front lug so I could get it working and still have a slight undercut profile to it under the bbl,,just for looks.

Welding is always a possibility to build up the metal of course, but I would splice in a entire new piece from the front on a small shallow dovetail or maybe just a shallow key slot. Then silver solder in place, shape and finish,

Fix up the front sight blade at the same time.
Rust blue the end of the bbl to finish off the repair work.

All done!
The Following User Likes This Post: