View Single Post

Old 08-02-2020, 03:32 PM
US Veteran

Liked 13,178 Times in 4,571 Posts

I love your last answer Bhfromme. The family pressures on gun people can be extreme. Thankfully, I never had a wife do that and I've had three. Number 2 just didn't like me having my guns loaded and ready to go because of our child. Otherwise, she never bugged me. My last wife carried her own gun, and I bought her another, but I get it - totally.

I have had several Model 19s, long story for another time, they're all gone now, but occasional shooting of full house .357 Magnum loads won't hurt it. I personally would not shoot three or four cylinders of hot loads through a Model 19 at one range session but once at each range session doesn't bother me much.

Here's the more specific thought process - you said "fledgling collection". There is a world of difference between an accumulation of guns and a real collection. If you're planning a collection of Smith & Wesson revolvers then you need a Model 19 in it and an older one is ideal if the gun is in excellent shape. Same goes for the concept of collecting .357 Magnum revolvers from any companies. You get to decide what the collection will consist of. As a reference, my profile lists my interests as .38/.357 revolvers. But I considered that my S&W pistols were part of the collection, too, especially the 9mms at the official size in inches of .355. Nearly identical to a .38 or .357 Magnum bullet.

But I've had nearly 4 decades plus of having guns in my house, especially S&W revolvers, but that doesn't count rifles, and a host of assorted handguns from other makers. My point being, especially in light of your family pressure, that you need to be very clear in your own mind what you are "collecting" versus, if you can, what you can accumulate.

The follow up then is what will you shoot in your lightweight .357s versus your heavyweight .357s and since you have choices already I'd avoid too much shooting of hot rounds in a K frame.

Long winded answer, I know..........