View Single Post

Old 08-02-2020, 04:13 PM

Liked 4,433 Times in 1,463 Posts
Lightbulb SQUIBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Richard View Post
Back in the 80's I build a squib rod, actually 2, one for 38's and one for 45's. Brass rods and attached a large round wooden knob. Make sure the rod is longer than the barrel it is intended for. It has been used maybe 4-5 times over that 40 years. Always put a couple drops of oil or Kroil down the bore and let soak a hour or so before banging it out if you have the option.

Thee OP here has it correct. Although no knobs, I have two rods for this operation. One in brass the other a dowel. Have never, yet had a problem with a 22 but there have been others. Shooting with a hunting buddy one time we were out in the back forty some where. He was standing right next to me, better hearing in those days,:rolleyes his newely acquired classic MDL 29 just went sort of 'pop' he had picked up some reloads somewhere and the Red Gods were not happy about it. as luck would have it I had my repair bag in the truck and fixed the problem straight away.No Krpi; in those days but 3&1 oil and a good smack popped the bullet right out He trashed the rest of the box and his lesson of not using someone else's reloads was firmly implanted. CLP will work in a light pinch but more than one bullet I dont know. Have no idea how I would clear a 22 from the breach end if a revolver. I have to assume a BRASS rod of the correct size and length would work with plenty of oil. All this saying putting the gun in a tight clamp would be best if you can. I also have an old vise I use to use that attached to my trim bench when working on doors that helps if you can clamp it to something.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: