View Single Post

Old 08-02-2020, 04:56 PM

Liked 6,901 Times in 2,335 Posts

Regarding modifications of Brazilian 1917's. The only Brazilians I have seen worth keeping original have been on this site, in particular there was one that came from South America and the guy even had the original box...at least thats what I remember. I was showing my modified Brazilian to one of the old guys at the rifle club on "Show and Tell Monday" (which was alot of fun, everybody took turns bringing something in on Mondays during the winter when it was too cold to shoot before 10:00) I'll preface this story by adding that Will had worked as the gunsmith for a leading gunshop for decades. Anyway I handed it to him and he said "You were too young to remember when these things hit the shop, but we used to have a box on the end of the counter with a sign (Your pick $19.99) that box sat there for over a year before they were gone, after they left the only other revolvers that were good parts guns were all of the Model 28's that had been cop guns, they were the best project guns ever, you could do anything with them."
Considering how many original 1917's and then later Brazilian Models that came back in rough shape, its a wonder to me that there aren't more cool custom guns built off those beaten up pieces, I would have to imagine that the frames and cylinders were utilized not to mention internal parts which must work in every pre-war N frame.
I will agree with the collectors that any revolver in decent shape should be kept original, but once someone has molested an original beyond bringing it back to original its game on for a customizer. I like just about anything well done with the exception to the Fitz modification, thats just wrong IMHO. The only way a Fitz modification will work for me is if it came with documentation that the reason it was done was because the trigger guard was bent severely while pistol whipping an assailant.
The Following User Likes This Post: