View Single Post

Old 08-03-2020, 07:04 PM

Liked 6,940 Times in 2,352 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc45 View Post
As do I. In my my collection are maybe 30 molds, all for early Winchester rifles that have been hand picked over many years from gun shows out West. Really enjoy casting and making ammo both, mostly for the big bore 1886 rifles and an old Sharps 40 cal business rifle that was given me by my Grandfather. As an avid prairie dog shooter and mostly using varmint rifles, have killed my share of these pesky critters using old Winchesters, even the large calibers. My loads all use light charges of 5744 powder, never black, as the guns are to precious to me not wanting to foul them with black. Not very traditional of me I know, but the guns are my children!

GC
I have to say that folks with a problem using black powder are truly missing the boat. The fouling is almost entirely in the barrel of a rifle and with proper cleaning your good to go for storage after maybe 30 minutes of pleasurable time spent cleaning firearms, maybe a little stinky. In my .44 D.A. revolver the face of the cylinder and surrounding area get fouled but usually that wipes off easily with solvent soaked rag, the bore is simple to clean. I shoot black powder enough to buy it by the case and usually go through a case in a year, granted not with 3F Swiss for revolvers but 1-1/2 Swiss in my Sharps 45-90 I go through that, I shoot that also in my .45 muzzle loading target rifle. The main thing to remember with black powder is that if you are not going to shoot it again the next day...you need to clean it. Pyrodex is actually more corrosive than holy black, I picked up an Italian copy of the 1858 Remington from a guy that used it to shoot cowboy action, it came with three cylinders, one of the cylinders was so crapped out that I had to drill out the nipples, extract the ruined nipples, chase the threads and install new nipples...they looked like they had been welded in there, he told me he always used Pyrodex and a couple cans came with the revolver...I fertilized the lawn with that ****.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: