View Single Post

Old 08-04-2020, 09:44 PM

Liked 6,947 Times in 2,355 Posts

Agreed...Goex does have its place and is our mainstay with patched round ball shooting. It also works very well as you mentioned in larger caliber muskets and smoothbore rifles. The fact that Goex is more affordable makes it our bread and butter and probably keeps the business afloat. Goex does have some other powders like Goex Supreme which is difficult to get but does yield more positive results. I am also a fan of Goex Ole Eyensford which burns nearly as clean as Swiss and also produces a more efficient explosion. I run Goex Ole Eyensford 3F in all my cap and ball revolvers, I do use Swiss 3F in revolver cartridges mainly .44 Russian and 44-40 WCF, also .44 Special in a Colt SAA. I like it for it cleaner burn and snappier explosion, it is noticeable I've done the taste test. When it comes to BPCR, I haven't found anything that outperforms Swiss. I use Swiss almost exclusively in 45-70 and Sharps 2.4", I use it in 1-1/2 F granulation for its case filling tendency and even predictable burn, lack of severe fouling.