Thread: Mixing Primers
View Single Post

Old 08-06-2020, 10:29 AM

Liked 25,748 Times in 8,702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbm6893 View Post
First of all, thanks for all the responses.

Secondly, I am just loading to punch paper, in both rifle and pistol. I don't own a chronograph and probably never will.

Third, I load on a single stage press and still weigh every charge. I also measure every piece of rifle brass. I am very careful and always will be. I'm not in a hurry.

I started with CCI, but components come and go and we can't always get what we want. I saw a brick of Winchester and I bought them. I sat in front of the TV and used a hand priming tool and seated them. I had forgotten the color difference so I can easily tell them apart from the CCI. That being said, the Winchester ones are now sitting in a large freezer ziplock bag, apart from my CCI ones. When I have loaded all of the CCI rounds, I will begin to load the Winchester. As far as "not mixing", are you saying I shouldn't even put the two loaded rounds with different primers in the same magazine? I use the same amount of powder, 26 grains (I believe, I'd have to check) of CFE 223.

I did buy some CCI small rifle magnum primers by mistake. Boxes look so much alike. I was told here not a problem with AR rounds, especially since I load lighter. I haven't even touched those yet and will not for some time. I'd have to load another 2000 regular CCI before I even got to them, and I still pick up bricks as I see them, so it might be years until I get to the magnum. Matter of fact, I recall being told Federal are softer primers so they're great to use. I have several bricks of those for small pistol primers. I'm quite sure I have mixed them. No issues.

Are people here saying they only load one primer, ever? Even when components are scare?

And by the way, I am meticulous with my brass cleaning, too! Wet tumbled to get them super clean inside and out, then after they're dried in a brass dryer, a quick dry tumble to allow them to cycle through the press more smoothly. Rule3 was extremely helpful when I got started 7 years ago, and I take his advice with most things reloading, but I just like the look of shiny brass!
I am a pretty picky person and I can honestly say I see no perceptible performance between the 4 main Primer Brands. Some report that CCI primers are very hard. I submit that if your gun will not reliably set them off - then your striking force is set too light. I would never accept changing primer brands because of light hits - instead I would fix the gun to set off ANY brand primer - reliably. Common sense to me.

My advise again........ buy what ever main brand (Win. Rem, Fed, CCI) is either available or on sale. Make sure any gun you own works with all of them. They are all excellent quality and all reliable - even Remington - LOL!!

PS: I have actually chronographed the same loads with different brand primers - not enough of a difference to even talk about!

Last edited by chief38; 08-06-2020 at 10:32 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: