Thread: Underwood ammo
View Single Post

Old 08-08-2020, 07:04 AM

Liked 1,371 Times in 655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWPBR View Post
I love the Underwood heavy 44 special 255 grain LSWC. Velocity is as advertised and it is clean and very accurate. Maybe OP just has a wonky gun?
That is exactly what I carry in my M69 an agree with your assessment. But shooting a heavy 44 special load in a 44 magnum revolver is not a problem. And I really like how it shoots.

But if the OP has a 10mm things are different. Look at the reviews for it and in forums for 10mm fans. It works fine in some guns. But a lot of people have to switch to a stronger recoil spring. And even after they do that they sometimes install stronger magazine springs because the slide is moving so fast it will not pick up the next round. And some install a buffer so that fast moving slide doesn't batter the frame going forward. In short, the same sort of changes made converting a 45 ACP to shoot 45 Super. This is usually blamed on manufacturers not building their guns to handle "real" 10mm. But I suspect the actual problem is they build their guns around SAAMI spec ammo and Underwood is hotter than what SAAMI allows.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: