View Single Post

Old 08-09-2020, 07:31 PM
US Veteran

Liked 21,359 Times in 6,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A10 View Post
The Cattaraugus are my favorite combat knife. I have two, one my Dad had that someone took a grinder to, and another one I found in real good shape, sheath and all. Bark River Knives built a tribute knife, called the Quartermaster.
The 225Q was not designed or accepted as a combat knife. It is believed that they were issued to the Quartermaster's personnel to assist in opening boxes and wooden crates. WWII – The Cattaraugus 225 Q Commando | The High Road

Did some more research on Frank Trzaska's Website: US Military Knives Bayonets Machetes

This is what he had to say:
Cattaraugus 225Q

After studying these knives for quite some years I still can not come up with documentary evidence that they were purchased by the government for the Quartermaster Corps or any other branch for that matter. I have been told by many that such paperwork exists but it has taken on the mystique of an AUrban Legend@ to me. AThe blades were made extra thick to pry open wooden crates.@ AThe pommels were doubled and checkered to provide a hammering surface for resealing the crates.@ These are just a few of the often repeated comments I have heard concerning these knives. Are they true? I would think that a pry bar or a hammer would be better suited for such activities. I do know that J.B.F. Champlin was the wartime president of Cattaraugus Cutlery Co. Mr. Champlin=s son Jack, was in the Army Quartermaster Corps stationed in Europe. Is this a coincidence by any chance? Jack carried a 225Q knife made especially for him according to local newspaper accounts. Could this have been the connection for that mysterious AQ@ stamped on the blades of the Cattaraugus and the Case examples of this knife? The knives were, at the time, known by the factory workers as ACommando@ knives but we have gathered that the moniker was a marketing ploy as they look nothing like the original ACommando@ knives. Again that seems to be aimed at general sales and marketing not a government contract. If anyone has access to any government records showing the actual purchase of 225Q type knives I sure would like to see it. Let=s put this Acommon knowledge@ issue to rest once and for all.

Last edited by AJ; 08-09-2020 at 08:16 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: