View Single Post

Old 08-21-2020, 08:48 AM

Liked 4,624 Times in 1,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckenney99 View Post
I am reconsidering adding pepper spray to my carry equipment when I leave the house.
Having retired from LE but still living in the same town where I was stationed, I have always considered the possibility of a confrontation with an old suspect/defendant as a possibility.
However with today's current climate, some other folks seem to have become emboldened to challenge everyone for some perceived wrong.
Now being retired, I recognize that I no longer have a need to interact with these people and I will go out of my way to avoid them but some of the confrontations we are seeing, these idiots just will not take no, go away, for an answer.
No, I do not frequent bars or spots normally associated with less than civilized behavior, but that doesn't seem to matter any more. You are just as likely to be accosted in the grocery parking lot or at the gas pumps.
I am rapidly approaching my 62nd birthday and never was much of a boxer/fighter, (in the academy, during boxing week, an instructor noted that I could take a punch . . . lots of them). I can now envision a greater need to have a non-lethal option at my disposal.
I am always armed when it is permissible, so that is covered but it feels like having a non-lethal option might be prudent until things calm down.
Yes, I do carry a cell phone and will call proper authorities but I do not want to be looking at a phone when the threat is already closing the distance.
Any thoughts, suggestions?
The older we get the more likely ANY attack is to cause us great bodily harm or death, thus justifying the use of lethal force. That, combined with a past experience where pepper spray FAILED to do the job makes me less likely than ever to take chances with my life.

Today I turned 64, and am firmly in the "vulnerable population" category. Having never been a LEO and use to carrying multiple means of dealing with a threat, I choose to keep things simple: my firearm. If a situation presents itself where my verbal judo is unsuccessful, I don't intend to be confused as to what comes next.