Thread: fmjfn vs fmjrn
View Single Post

Old 08-22-2020, 07:57 AM

Liked 1,363 Times in 649 Posts

In 9mm I like 147 grain range ammo since it seems to knock over steel plates a little better. Most 147 is flat nose. Keeping the bullet wide as long as possible makes it easier to fit a heavy bullet in the same length.

On paper it punches a neater hole. Its not as good as a wadcutter out of a revolver but still much cleaner than RN bullet. If you have both FN and RN at the range you can shoot at the same target twice and tell which group was which by looking at the holes so you do not have to paste them up or replace the target as often.

I have heard some guns have a harder time feeding the FN bullets but if your gun chokes on any type of FMJ you bought the wrong pistol. For range ammo I pick the weight I want and don't worry about FN vs RN.

For self defense I carry HP. I have heard the theory that FMJFN does more damage but I doubt it makes much difference. It kind of seems like a FN that makes a nice clean hole in paper would do the same if it was used in self defense. You do not want a bullet for self defense that makes a clean hole. Hunters use hard case semiwaddcutters because they travel straighter if they hit a bone and penetrate better. But those rounds typically have a much sharper profile than a FMJFN that often causes feeding problems in a semiauto. And they are made of much harder lead that is less likely to deform if they hit a bone.

These days the best choice would be whichever type you can find.

Last edited by Dave Lively; 08-22-2020 at 08:10 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: