Thread: Am I alone?
View Single Post

Old 08-24-2020, 10:56 AM

Liked 7,402 Times in 2,514 Posts

While I agree that .38 Special is an adequate choice for Self-Defense, I disagree with the notion that a .357 Magnum Snubby is overkill.

Case in point, my mother carries a Taurus 605, a .357 Magnum Snubby, which I personally recommended to her after she asked me to recommend her a pistol that she could carry which was good not just for two-legged threats, but four-legged ones as well after a too-close-for-comfort encounter with a hog she had had one night while she was walking her dogs as well as finding tracks/scat in her yard.

Furthermore, a .357 Magnum Snubby isn't even overkill for humans either. It's not exactly common, but thugs have been shot before with .357s and kept coming. Besides, part of the reason why folks choose to carry .357 Magnum Snubbies is because .357 Magnum has a reputation as a reliable cartridge for stopping a threat in short order.

Seriously, .357 Magnum is a powerful cartridge, but it's a far cry from being overkill. Heck, just about the only things that I would consider "overkill" for ordinary civilian Self-Defense are cartridges specifically designed for hunting African big game or anti-material purposes, as obviously nobody needs a .50 BMG Barrett Rifle for Home Defense.