View Single Post

Old 08-26-2020, 04:01 PM

Liked 4,190 Times in 1,865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snidely Whiplash View Post
lrrifleman - I’m using factory Speer Gold Dot 168 grain ammunition. My original intent for this rifle was as a medium to medium-long range battle rifle but this thing weighs a ton - no way I could realistically replace an M4 or AR15 type rifle with this. I enjoy it as a range gun and will keep it to use if the Russians / Chinese / Middle Eastern / peaceful protestor hordes ever invade my state. 😀
Hopefully I could get a few at Respectable range before they get to shotgun range and I’m overwhelmed.
Seriously, I’m not sure what kind of accuracy I should be expecting. With my 4 power ACOG and this rifle should I be hitting the center red spot consistently or should I be happy with shots in the 10 ring? I have no idea what is considered good.

Snidely, all is not lost. Think F class Mid-range! Mid-range engages targets at 300, 500, and 600 yards. The aiming black is the same as the targets used for across the course, but the scoring rings are half the diameter.

You would have to do two MINOR changes to your rifle to be able to shoot the F T/R (target/rifle) category. First, you would need a bipod. A Harris is the least expensive, or you could go to a boutique bipod that could cost upwards of $400. I use a VersaPod, which cost about a hundred and a quarter. I am not familiar with the ACOG, but I know that I haven't seen any on the line over the past five years! Here, fleabay can be your friend. I use an old El Paso Weaver T10 at 600 yards with a custom upper AR15. Now that my eyes have been fixed (cataract surgery), I am improving my ammo and on the road to a Sharpshooter classification. Theoretically, I could have an Expert classification by next fall.

Ammo - I am not familiar with the Speer 168gr Gold Dot, but keep in mind that the Federal Gold Medal Match is the gold standard for accuracy!

Do you plan on reloading? If so, focus on 168gr HPBT bullets moving at about 2550 fps. You may have to fiddle with seating depth to improve accuracy, and you may have to single feed your ammo.

A good add-on would be to get a bunny bag (rabbit ear bag) to secure your stock.

With this type of setup, you should be able to expect a bit tighter than 1 minute of angle accuracy at 600 yards, which should keep you in the ten ring.