View Single Post

Old 08-31-2020, 04:16 PM
US Veteran

Liked 5,708 Times in 1,410 Posts
Default DILEMA SOLVED - old 1974 "dealer reloads" - what to do with them?

First let me say I am NOT a reloader, just never found the time or money and now retired can find the time...but just not the desire to get into it properly, and my opinion is that a half-baked entry into reloading could spell disaster for me and/or my firearms.

With the above said I'll also state that I have never shot anybody's reloads in my guns. I always use factory ammo and have had years of fun so not changing now.

I've got literally thousands of rounds stashed that will last me years so I'm not worried over the shortage either.

Anyway.......to the questions, geared towards those of you that DO reload, and I am sure you do it very religiously because your safety depends on it.

1. With a Model 14 purchase years ago the sale came from a non-gun person trying to dispose of his dad's stuff. Along with the gun came 2 boxes of Remington ammo. One box was 95 grain, Semi-jacketed, hollow point. This box was given to another ammo collector on this forum years ago simply because of the labelling on the other box...I didn't trust it to be as the factory box said.

The box I still have has a "reloaders sticker" stuck on one of the end flaps and it says: "5.1 grains Bullseye, CCI SP primer, 1400 fps". The factory box end flap reads 158 gr LRN.

So my basic question 1 is does this claimed velocity match up to anything you guys see or have ever loaded for? ALL of my stash of factory ammo in 38 (Remington UMC, American Eagle, Fiocchi, Winchester, Magtech, PMC Bronze, etc.) is at 800, 810 and these are mostly 130, 132 gr. FMJ, or 158 gr. FMC-F at 755 fps.

Question 2; What to do with this stuff? I don't want to just dump questionable loaded rounds on anyone. i.e. if I won't shoot it....I don't think anyone else should either, which leads to question 3: Is it even safe in your expert opinion to shoot at the listed charge (don't know how the reloader came up with 1400 fps).

I hate to invest in a bullet puller just to dump the powder and dump the empty brass in the range bucket my next trip but is that's the only safe way....I'll probably go that way.

Sorry for the long epistle but this box of 50, dated 1974, sits in my stash of 38 and I really don't want sons or daughters grabbing it by mistake some day, so I'm going to dispose of it some way.

P.S. If there had been 1 round missing from the box I would have surmised maybe the guy (or gal) blew up their 38 revolver, and that is why the Model 14 was unfired and pristine but alas all 5o look alike.

Thanks in advance from you expert reloaders to a non-reloader.
Any of you in or around central Virginia can have this box for free if you want to come get it. The box of 95 grain that I sent to another collector cost $10.98 for UPS but that was when I worked at a company that had twice daily UPS pickups and I could just reimburse the company.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1092.jpg (41.3 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1093.jpg (37.0 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1094.jpg (38.5 KB, 145 views)
SWCA#3083, SWHF#570

Last edited by cmansguns; 09-03-2020 at 07:29 AM. Reason: add to title
The Following User Likes This Post: