View Single Post

Old 09-01-2020, 03:38 PM

Liked 7,366 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funflyer View Post
We can thank Gaston Block for the bad rep that the .40 has and why lots of shooters shy away from the cartridge. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people at gun counters perpetuating the unwarranted BS about the .40S&W. Oh no! I don't want a 40 because they are too high pressure and will blow-up in my hand. It's typically followed up by "but the new bullet technology makes a 9mm just as effective". What a load of bull-squatchy. Truth is that if Blocks had "in spec" chambers, instead of being the size of a one-car garage, you wouldn't be hearing any more mis-information being spewed about the .40 than any other other cartridge. They may have been accurate also.
Unfortunately, Glock wasn't the only manufacturer to attempt to simply modify a 9mm pistol for .40 S&W, technically even Smith & Wesson's own 4006 was based on the 9mm 5906, albeit they at least beefed it up substantially rather than just bore out a 9mm pistol to fit a 10mm bullet.

Sadly, not many developers wanted to spend the necessary funds on R&D to make guns chambered specifically for the .40 S&W cartridge, so they took the quick and easy route to capitalize on the hype/popularity of the cartridge.
It couldn't be helped, and besides, the cartridge's reputation only really suffered in the short term because eventually firearms manufacturers started designing their firearms with .40 S&W in mind, and nowadays the only folks who act like the cartridge itself was at fault are either ignorant or just petulant haters seeking approval any excuse to justify their senselessly persistent denigration which they know deep down is invalid and silly.