View Single Post

Old 09-03-2020, 08:48 PM
US Veteran

Liked 32,371 Times in 5,476 Posts

Going back to the period 2001 to 2006 or so, I made a point of purchasing every M1 rifle I was allowed by CMP rules, which varied from year to year. I ended up with SA, Winchester, International Harvester, and Harrington & Richardson rifles, as well as a couple of Danish returns. These were all "luck of the draw" purchases, next one off the pallet shipped to fill the order, and prices ranged from about $400 to $500 each.

Best shooter has been one of the Danish returns, a 1941 SA completely rebuilt by the Danes with VAR-crown barrel and new stock serial numbered to the receiver.

Probably most interesting to me is a "Win-13" series, Winchester receiver numbered in the range of serial numbers duplicated by Springfield Armory during WW2 production. 1952 Korea-era rebuild with SA barrel and a few mismatched parts.

Probably the rarest is the International Harvester, with original barrel and otherwise correct overall. Only the trigger group was mismatched, and one of my other buys had the IH trigger group, so "voila"!

Prettiest is the HRA, original barrel and a very light colored birchwood stock correct for the period, and 90%-plus condition.

All of them were "service" grade rifles, nothing particularly special about them at the time of ordering. However, today they are all extremely desirable collector pieces, especially with the CMP certificate of authenticity as provenance showing they came directly to me from the US Army Depot in Anniston, Alabama.

I also caught several of the last of the Springfield rifles, M1903 and 03/A3, about 2004 or so. Many of these spent decades in ROTC units or ceremonial use (VFW, American Legion, etc), but one appears to be nearly as-issued condition (1942 Remington 03/A3). None were priced over $400 or so when I purchased them, and a couple of the M1903's were less than $300 at the time (low serial numbers, not recommended for firing due to receiver heat treatment methods of the time).

I consider all of these rifles to be historic artifacts. I also consider them to be part of my retirement fund! I would be surprised if I couldn't double my money on any one of them!

No, they are not for sale.
The Following 8 Users Like Post: