View Single Post

Old 09-03-2020, 09:48 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,727 Times in 469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by handejector View Post
I don't know when this gun shipped, but I believe it was built before the wartime production. You simply don't see the high polish and deep black on the guns that we KNOW are postwar production.

For some reason, S&W seems to have been very slow getting back into production after WW I. Control of the factory was returned to them in Jan, 1919, but I have not seen a gun that letters to 1919. I'm sure there are some, but I haven't had one. If you have one, please tell us about it.

I'm also not convinced Gold medallions were ever reordered by the factory after the wartime production. I'm also not convinced that many, IF any, gold medallion grips were produced after the War. Perhaps the last of them were used up, but I've seen non medallion grips on what I believe are some of the earliest post-war guns.
Again, does anyone have a 1919 or 1920 gun with the duller post-war finish that positively has ORIGINAL, undoubtable, gold medallions? I haven't seen one. Again I'll stress that a high polish gun shipped after the war MAY be a vault gun built before the war...
Lee,

Are you including all S&W hand ejectors in your above reference?*

Maybe, (or very likely?) my .38 "RP" was made prior to the government commandeering production for the war effort.

I'd say it has a high blue finish, yet it shipped April, 1919 according to Roy Jinks.

-Bill

Do These Pictures Help Answer the Question?

*Edit: Mea culpa. I now see your original post that I quote, Lee, is 9 years old!

Last edited by bill-in-texas; 09-04-2020 at 09:40 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: