View Single Post

Old 09-04-2020, 10:10 AM
S&W Historian

Liked 11,295 Times in 2,882 Posts

I have never seen anyone on this forum reference "Smith & Wesson Handguns" by Roy C. McHenry and Walter F. Roper. Both gentlemen were S&W employees during the period when these models were current production. They gathered the information for their book during their employment prior to WWII. Mr. McHenry was, at least un-officially, S&W Historian during this time, much as Roy Jinks has been for years. They make reference in their book to the .32-20 Hand Ejector as the "Winchester Model", not .32-20 M&P! Unfortunately I have not seen Roy take a stand on this issue. And, yes, Walter F. Roper is THAT Walter F. Roper."
Hold on! Roy McHenry was NEVER an employee of Smith & Wesson. Roy McHenry was NEVER the un-Official historian for Smith & Wesson.Don't put Roy Jinks in the same sentence with McHenry, they couldn't be more different. Ever wonder why Roper left Smith & Wesson, only to leave his next employer soon after arriving? The reason reason you never hear anyone reference "Smith & Wesson Handguns" by Roy C. McHenry and Walter F. Roper", is simple. Read it, then read "History of Smith & Wesson", by Roy G. Jinks", or "Smith & Wesson 1857-1945" by Neal & Jinks". If you don't have either of these 2, I suggest you get a copy. Then you'll see why.
A book detailing all the errors in that book would be about twice its size. It would take up way too much of Roy's time explaining all the errors in that book.