View Single Post

Old 09-05-2020, 10:50 PM

Liked 163 Times in 62 Posts

Made a point to re-visit this issue today, & took my 12 empty cases with me.

Upon close & careful examination it was not the extractor rod. No issue with the primers. Hand engaging & rotating the cylinder just as it’s suppose to. Cocked the hammer very slowly…then…it locked up again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowe View Post
...Could you have a case or a few with thick rims? Unlikely in my mind, but worth getting out a micrometer...

Lastly, the recoil shield should be smooth, so could not scrape the cases....
Yes sir, those rims! I now stand corrected with my dismissal of that probability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iframe32s View Post
...The thickest rim mic'd @ .0666. Loading manuals list .065....
There is a very close tolerance between the cases & the breech face. Those Remington cases are nearly .002" over SAAMI published dimensions & are definitely not conducive to smooth, unimpeded operation.

And...in conjunction with that extremely close tolerance is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protocall_Design View Post
I would look for a burr around the firing pin hole. Oftentimes a burr will develop from the firing pin going through the hole. It can be stoned or filed flat. It may occur one or two more times over time, but if stoned down each time, eventually it will stop happening. I have seen this a lot on older guns with a hammer nose, not at all on newer ones with the firing pin in the frame. Just one of the possible things to check.
BINGO sir. We have a winner...you nailed it!

There's a very fine circular burr around the circumference of the firing pin hole which is only obvious when viewing from the side with help from an LED flashlight. It likely came from the factory like that back in the 20's, as the discrepancy can't be readily noticed through casual viewing due the the immaculate blue finish. I will only surmise this gun is in such beautiful condition after all these years due to the "issue" which discouraged/prevented previous owners from using it much; hence it likely met its untimely retirement & became a "safe queen" long ago.

This revolver has an action & trigger pull as smooth as silk. I've fired many arms in my time, and this is something to appreciate. Talk about nostalgia! The sleekness, the balance... Leveling that front sight blade on the 6 o'clock bullseye virtually transcends one back to the days of G-men & gangsters. There's nothing I can think of that feels as good in the hand. A true classic in a classic caliber.

The marks I previously described on the empty cases were caused by the burrs. The tolerances are so close the differences in rim thickness is what determined which cartridges would come into battery & fire, & which ones got bound up. Closer inspection showed indentations of the burrs on the outermost aspects of the primers caused by recoil.

Can't thank you all for your though-provoking input!
The Following 6 Users Like Post: