View Single Post

Old 09-06-2020, 08:58 PM

Liked 160 Times in 54 Posts
Default Snake shot carried in cylinder

Copperheads and the occasional timber rattler share my neck of the woods. As a result, I usually carry a factory round loaded with snake shot under the hammer. My reason for charging my chambers in this manner is that I feel that I'm more likely to encounter a coyote or have need of a self-defense round for two-legged snakes in more of a hurry than I am to have need of a snake load in a rush.....Friday, after shooting 38 Special and .22 revolvers, I decided to fire a round of stout .44 Special from my snubby 629 just to make sure I'm familiar with her zero.

I noticed no issues until I unloaded my 44 at home before wiping her down, I noticed the shot capsule had jumped crimp and indeed spilled onto the floor as I took the rounds and one empty from the chambers.

Not sure I'd ever fired a warm 44 load topped by a 240 grain bullet from a cylinder that also contained a factory shot shell. I can foresee a possible hazard here if the capsule fouls the cylinder like a bullet can when it jumps crimp.

Tried it with 5 middle-of-the-road-for-power .357 hand-loads with a shotshell occuppying the 6th chamber of my M-65-5 today. I could detect no apparent movement of the plastic shot capsule.

Anyone else ever experience a shot-capsule jumping crimp under recoil?