View Single Post

Old 09-07-2020, 06:43 AM

Liked 1,497 Times in 787 Posts

I have to assume they are.
The look of the 2 triggers above is so similar and the function identical.
The alloys are very close so the heat treating will be as well.
You are going to want that trigger sear to be as hard as possible.

Once the colors of case hardening, which are only a few molecules thick, wear off you can get a finish that looks like a coin finish but is still hardened.

There are so many types of hardened finishes now I have quit trying to keep track as they all look somewhat similar except for the really colorful ones.
For instance I believe my Rizzini double rifle has a vacuum vapor/plasma deposition chromium nitride finish but it looks like any other chrome or coin finish I have seen.
Heck it doesn't look any different from some stainless steel either but is supposedly harder than just about anything except diamond.
I haven't tried scratching it to find out .

The Kuhnhausen 5th edition S&W shop manual has a lengthy rant at the end about how the MIM parts rust way worse than the old forged parts.
This would have been written about some of the first MIM parts.
I am not sure why that would be or even if it is true if the alloys are similar.
I keep any non-stainless parts lightly coated with some kind of protectant and have not had any problems with that.
Eezox is one I use lately even though it is quite pungent.
Previous ones have included RIG grease lightly applied by rag and then wiped off and some of the spray products.

Last edited by Nemo288; 09-07-2020 at 06:56 AM.