View Single Post

Old 09-07-2020, 05:05 PM

Liked 1,239 Times in 534 Posts
Default MIM?? Ugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocker View Post
Or, as S-W put it, with MIM the precision machining has to be done one time, when the mold is made, vs. every part has to be machined.
The engineer part of me loves the way the MIM parts are designed, metal where it needs to be and not where it isn't.
The engineer in me appreciates the cost reduction that can be achieved with parts that are appropriate candidates for MIM. I do not like the way it looks. You can always see the graininess of the molded and sintered product unless it has been machined. Forged parts are so rough out out of the dies that nearly all surfaces have to be machined or ground to a pleasing polished look. Forged parts have one metallurgical advantage in that grain structure orientation can be optimized for loading. Not so with MIM. MIM has come a long way and is now the near equal of forged parts in fracture toughness, but nothing beats the beauty of a forged, machined and case hardened part. I like MIM stuff buried inside the gun where it can't be seen. In my shooting experience I have broken one MIM part, a old Taurus 92 hammer. Still waiting on my first forged part failure.
The Following User Likes This Post: