View Single Post

Old 09-08-2020, 09:33 PM

Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts

I ran some throws using as many of the tips as I could. I made a baffle out of cardboard similar to the one in the RCBS video (Thanks Twoboxer - is that your P51?) I practice consistent throws, zeroed my scales, added powder to 3/4 full. The first run produced throws that average 7.3. (7.27 on the digital) Max was 7.36 by the digital, minimum was 7.21. Most were 7.25 to 7.28. Bottom line with the baffle is that it was more consistent than yesterday.

Without the baffle with all other things equal, the throws were higher, averaging 7.60. Most were consistently 7.56 to 7.62.

My take away was a loaded bottle without baffle can result in consistently heavier loads - 3 grains heavier in this case. Both seem acceptable consistent with a full hopper but I would expect the non baffled to start out heavier and creep toward lighter as the level in the hopper decreased. I would expect the baffle to dampen this unless the powder level ran below the baffle.

Another thing I paid attention to this time was the uniformity of the powder. I would assume the smaller flakes could settle causing denser loads.

When my primed brass gets here, I'll be watching the powder and being very picky on the first few hundred until I can be comfortable. Maybe then I reduce to measuring every 10th.