View Single Post

Old 09-09-2020, 08:50 AM

Liked 9,423 Times in 4,223 Posts

You have a wonderful old Chiefs Special with a serious history. Since the original owner seems to have had the hammer spur bobbed, either to repair damage or more likely to smooth it up for better concealment and access, I would be very hesitant to change it... this is part of the gun’s history.

Those flat cylinder releases don’t offer the same purchase for the average thumb that the standard style do, but unless you think you’re going to need to do rapid reloads under high stress conditions, I would advise leaving it alone to preserve its history as well. The flat latch is an indicator of that gun’s place and time and collectors seem to love them. My late Baby Chiefs Special has one and it never gave me any problems. If you or your gunsmith take apart the cylinder assembly and clean and lubricate it, you will probably find the latch operates more easily. Didn’t you say the rest of the gun is very dry inside?

All in all, you have a very nice revolver with a well documented history. If it were mine, I would clean and service it carefully but wouldn’t change anything... but then again, it’s your gun and your choice. Enjoy!

Froggie
The Following 2 Users Like Post: