View Single Post

Old 09-09-2020, 01:04 PM
US Veteran

Liked 18,456 Times in 5,054 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
You have a wonderful old Chiefs Special with a serious history. Since the original owner seems to have had the hammer spur bobbed, either to repair damage or more likely to smooth it up for better concealment and access, I would be very hesitant to change it... this is part of the gun’s history.
Froggie
Lots of great philosophy here.

I have two '50s Chiefs with similar conditions. The '53 3" Baby Chiefs Special that the "Men" of the 106th Precinct in Queens, NYC gave their Lieutenant for Christmas that year, came to me with a broken hammer. Somebody bobbed the hammer on the '56 nickel Chiefs Special with the Pennsylvania Railroad logo.

It's funny that nobody who sees the nickel one ever mentions the hammer; they all lament the crack in the pearl grip. I wouldn't change it for all the world.

I put a replacement hammer on the Baby, but Froggie's thoughts have made me rethink that. I only shoot in double action so I'm going to put the old broken hammer back in place and always wonder, "how did that hammer get broken?"

I'm a history buff so I will preserve it as I found it, except I did have to get rid of the rust! And I like shooting with the Tyler T.

Thanks Froggie!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baby Chiefs, July '53, as I got it (2).jpg (91.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 1953 Baby Chiefs 3-inch (2).jpg (125.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0001 (2).jpg (97.2 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by two-bit cowboy; 09-09-2020 at 01:08 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: