View Single Post

Old 09-09-2020, 04:04 PM

Liked 17,294 Times in 6,647 Posts

I think of the 915 as the "Value Line" equivalent of the 5904. Everything else you note is typical of the early Value Line guns. When the 910 came along, S&W deleted the locking lug on the top of the barrel along with the slot on the underside of the frame. That carried through to the later CS9. I don't know if the 908 or 909 had that also.

I have three Value Line 9mm slides. I bought them mostly for the left side only safety.

Two of them are for 4 inch barrels. One has the slot in it for the lugged barrel one doesn't. The other is for 3.5 inch barrels and has no slot.

I don't know which specific guns they were for.

If the 915 has a plastic magazine release and non reusable button, it's a Value line gun.

As time went on, S&W made more engineering changes to the Value Line guns in an attempt to make them price competitive with Glock. I don't know that it worked all that well, but it did get us the CS guns, so there's that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysnacker View Post
In discussing the Value Line series, I think it's worth noting that the 915 doesn't truly fit into that group. It, alone, appears to be a no-frills, working-man's 3rd Gen.
The "value" bits are: aluminum frame, carbon steel slide instead of stainless, less aesthetics machining, non-ambi safety. I have one and a 5906 (with round trigger guard and novak sights), and it seems that literally everything can interchange and mix/match.

The actual Value Line guns are NOT interchangeable with their 3rd Gen counterparts, from what I can see.