View Single Post

Old 09-09-2020, 06:59 PM
SWCA Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 27,996 Times in 8,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydog View Post
The vast majority of German police stamped Victory Models were standard 5" .38 S & Ws (British K-200), although I have seen at least one .38 Special with them.
Alan:
I‘ll have to correct you a bit on that. Overall, there were more BSR‘s than US versions distributed, mostly because in the British zone, and in all of Austria, only BSR‘s were issued. But in the American zone, the ratio was about equal; for example, Bavaria got 4,284 guns in .38 S&W and 3,620 in .38 Special.

Art Doc:
To answer your question, the German police Victorys are all over the serial range. The Lend-Lease guns issued by the British definitely were in Europe. Could batches of superfluous Navy or OSS guns have been shipped over after the war for this purpose? Possibly. But we don‘t know.

I just got done researching and writing a bit about the topic. This is the biggest unanswered question about the large batches, several thousand at a time, which the US handed over. The ones lettered originally went all over. There is no pattern from which to draw conclusions. The British issued theirs locally in small batches, so they likely came straight out of their unit armories. The larger US batches must have been gathered somewhere, but there‘s no info to be found. The answer could be in the files of the Military Government for 1945/46, likely now in the National Archives.
The Following User Likes This Post: