View Single Post

Old 09-10-2020, 01:55 AM

Liked 26,158 Times in 9,069 Posts

When I shot lots of Cowboy action, my 45 Colt and my 45 ACP got loaded twice a year. Although I'm always buying in brass, I'm always loosing some too. so I maintained about 5000 of each.

Bullets were always easy to keep a 10K supply of but primers have been more difficult. I would place orders for full sleeves (5000) or 2 when I had the money, but they never seemed to get filled.

Then I started ordering all my powder, primers, and Jacketed bullets once a year. I would order and pay in February and take delivery in late September. Yes, my dealer got to operate 7 months on my money! Yes, it was a big chunk of money! But then, I was saving 15 to 20%! When it was several (8) of us doing year at a time ordering together, the savings became around 30%! The long time frame let our dealer order when there were specials.

Some components need to be ordered by the 500, some by the 1000, some by the 5000! I would order 15,000 large pistol primers every year, but Large Rifle Match 5000 every 2 or 3 years, and so on!

The only fly in the ointment, was buying a new target rifle, that I didn't already shoot that caliber. Until the next order cycle came in I was buying off the shelf (just like everybody else)!

Ivan