View Single Post

Old 09-10-2020, 03:07 PM

Liked 9,010 Times in 2,698 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhump1961 View Post
" And the MkIV was made for idiots who couldn't figure out how to reassemble the previous Marks."

That's quite a statement. You must already have enough friends. I have a MKI I've shot since I was a kid and a MKII from some time later. I cleaned and reassembled them just fine. But I would be an "idiot" if I didn't appreciate the ease of take down on the MKIV's I also own. The MKIV's are a fine example of engineering that keeps what's good and improves what's not so good.

As for triggers I would agree the MKII has a good enough out of the box trigger but as with all firearms if you want to shoot your best then a really good trigger is key. A Volquartsen trigger puts my suppressed MKIV at about 1.75lbs with no take up or overtravel. The great thing about the MKIV's is that the serial number is on the upper. That means you can send the lower to Volquartsen (or vendor of choice) without FFL if you want them to install it. I'm sure there are other good trigger choices but I only have experience with Volquartsen. Excellent trigger for about $140 or installed for $70 more.

I've not owned a S&W 41 but what I've read in this thread reflects the consensus I've seen reported over time.
I've owned a 80's vintage 41. Great target pistol. not much fun for anything else.

I have a collection of Mk1 and MkII Rugers and find them a joy to shoot.

I have 1 MkIII 22/45 I bought as a trainer for my wife when she showed interest in shooting 1911's. It's a nice shooter, but the nanny safety features are annoying.

The problem I have with the MkIV is that as soon as it came out it had a recall. I love Rugers as much as Smith revolvers, but the quality of both brands seems poor compared to the older models.

Also, I think that the MkIV ruined the classic looks of the previous Marks.

And finally, I got a really nice MkII in the box with papers for free when a very good friend of mine took it apart and couldn't get it back together. I did it for him, and he said keep it, I'll never get the hang of it.

I love him like a brother, but he's not mechanically inclined.

So he would be the target customer for a MkIV.