View Single Post

Old 09-11-2020, 08:23 AM

Liked 59 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raljr1 View Post
So based on the input from those more knowledgeable, I retract my comment about someone accepting them in trade. Too bad, because they look like they are in good shape. Unfortunately, they would appear to have little value in their present state. Sorry if I misled you.
Not a problem. I guess that only an in-hand evaluation would tell for sure. From looking at them, I can see the patina and oxidation on the back look like the age of the grips. The striations look like original saw marks and not from sanding. And if they were the original stocks that were sanded down, wouldn’t they be numbered? If they were sanded down so far to obliterate the number, the fixture fastening the medallion would also be sanded.
Anyway.

But I don’t have any experience other than seeing a couple sets of stocks in hand and looking at others on the forum and on eBay and gunbroker.

Sometimes the simplest explanation is the best - someone in the past replaced the originals with a set from a smaller-framed gun. A good test would be if someone who had an I frame service stock would photograph it on a K-frame to see if it looks the same as the photos in the original post.

But I, too, will abide by the consensus of the experts!

Last edited by readingbill; 09-11-2020 at 08:32 AM.